Two weeks and two days later, I am still on a Birthday present high. (see the crazy smile on my face above) I have always wanted to work with animals. I love them and I am fascinated by them, all of them. I have more notes from Marty Stopher's show, I have books, and movies on animals.
A Zoologist is my dream job, and since I never finished collage and I had tried to go back for the Vet Tech program. Long story short it didn't work out. So in honor of my dream Ed surprised me with a Trainer for a Day pass to the ever so beautiful Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. I loved it, every stinkin minute of my four and a half hours.
From being in the dolphin show (seen above) to feeding the Beluga whales, going into the actual penguin habitat with a Rock Hopper #16 penguin between my feet, to sitting in with the real dolphin trainers right before they put on a show. I was right along side the girls in the kitchen as we washed buckets, checked fish for missing eyes, and split bellies. We refilled the buckets, with fish and squids. I watched as they cut up fish for the dolphin show. And learned the sign language they use in the shows to communicate with each other.
I was amazed at how clean the whole place is, and the fact that there are people out there that are as obsessed as I am about animals. Or as I have read, Obsession is just a word lazy people us to describe the dedicated. I am dedicated to animals still, I LOVE learning about them, there eating and living habits, and being able to share it with others.
Someday I want to work with animals again. Even if I have to wait until the kids are grown, and when we retire I can volunteer at the Shedd. Take the train from Joliet for a few hours of cutting up fish and following around a trainer.
I cry as I post this, not because I am sad that my amazing day is over. But because it was a birthday gift that no one can ever take away from me. It's a day that will be burned in my head forever.
I will never forget walking over the catwalk, early in the morning, and looking down into a Beluga whales eyes as she follows me, curious as to who I am, and if I have fish for her.
I will never forget placing my hand on the dolphin to feel her heartbeat.
I will never forget singing and dancing with the girls in the kitchen as we cleaned and prepped fish.
I will never forget the Rockhopper and Gentu penguins
I will never forget the Barnes owl, Ranier, who was fascinated by my blonde hair.
I will never forget the night at Giordiano's in Chicago when Ed gave me my birthday card with the certificate in it.
Thank you Ed. As always you amaze me, and treat me better then I could have ever imagined.
Sunday, August 3, 2008
Dream come true
Yada Yada by
Jacki McHale
at
11:24 AM
Related insane topics 30, Dolphins, Ed, Shedd Aquarium












