Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Thursday's top 10 ways to overcome Procrastination

When a person is bored or UNINTERESTED, certain tasks and projects can seem like torture! This feeling usually leads to procrastination, and procrastination often leads to GUILT. Here are some practical ways to avoid these situations and overcome procrastination:


RECHARGE DAILY- Procrastination can often be caused (or exacerbated by) a feeling of being drained and listless. Be sure to get enough sleep and rest each day so that you have the necessary ENERGY you need to accomplish your tasks.
~I agree with this, if I get crappy sleep, I am a zombie until about 1 or 2 in the afternoon.


GET A FRIEND INVOLVEDIt's harder to procrastinate when another person is involved. If you have a task you aren't looking forward to, invite a friend over to help you out. If you have errands to run, find a buddy who you can run errands with. Just having an ACCOUNTABILITY partner can make all the difference in the world.
~Can we say Jen and me getting together each month to work on projects. I do this one when I can

REWARD YOURSELFYou're much more likely to complete that boring task if there is a dinner out or a new compact disc waiting for you when (and only when) the task is complete. We often forget that we respond better to a POSITIVE enticement to get things done. Instead of using a whip, why not try a carrot?
~My carrot is the internet. I have a new routine the last few weeks. I don't allow myself to go online, until breakfast is done, kitchen is cleaned, maybe a load of laundry is in, and Mia is down for her morning nap. Then I can go relax by my internet, check my sites. But I have to set a timer, for an hour. To go get the laundry, empty the dishwasher, eat lunch (yes I forget to eat lunch too)


DO THINGS IN PIECESProcrastination often comes from feelings of OVERWHELM. Break tasks, even small ones, into STEPS so that they are manageable and provide you with a sense of direction.
~I so love this one. Sometimes a project is just to much for me to mental and physicaly handle at once. I sort things into piles and go throught them a pile or a basket at a time. Much less painful

USE MUSIC- Turn on some fun and UPBEAT music and let it pump you up! 80s music and showtunes are often great pick-me-ups that will give you needed energy to tackle your tasks.
~Yes! I either wear my iPod or put my iTunes on the computer while I am cleaning.

DON'T BE AFRAID TO DO TWO THINGS AT ONCE- Don't be afraid to balance routine or MONOTONOUS tasks with something that is more likely to hold your interest. You can pay bills while you watch television, or talk on the phone while cleaning up the house.
~Jen on phone = Laundry folded, dishes done.

DELEGATEDo you find yourself procrastinating on chores at home like cleaning and laundry? Or maybe paperwork at the office? Delegate them! Kids, cleaning people, laundry services, administrative assistants and more are all available to take some of those BORING tasks off your list and free up your time for the stuff you'd RATHER be doing.
~This one I don't get to do so much. Mia is just learning to be my little apprentice, Ed works 2 jobs, and it takes $$ to have the others.


PRIORITIZE- Perhaps you're procrastinating on a task because it's really NOT that important. Maybe you'd love to re-organize your book shelves, but never get around to it. If it sounds like a good idea but in the end it's really not that important to you, don't let it hang over your head. Just let it go and recognize that you wouldn't have gotten that much value out of completing the job in the first place.
~I have an issue with a task that needs to be done now. I want to do ANY other task, just NOT to do the one that needs to be done.

GET IN TOUCH WITH THE END RESULT- Before you begin a task or project that has high procrastination potential, get in touch with the OUTCOME. When the task is finished, what will that mean to you? What will be better in life as a result?
~I think I am seeing this with my whole organizing/nesting obsession. I am really trying to find a place for everything in my house. From the dustpan, to paperwork. To organize but not over organize (too many bins and files, makes it just as hard) It's a good thing to have it where you need it, and when you go there for it. Wahla! It's magicly right there for you! It's just keeping up with the busy working husband, 2 dogs, 2 cats and one 20 month old. I am sure I will get a great routine, and then comes Mr Alex!!


JUST DO IT- Don't THINK about it too much, just jump in and get it done!
~Yes sometimes I look into things WAY to much. Like laundry. I think I was looking at all the steps at once, collecting, dragging it down from the second floor to the other side of the basement, sorting, starting a load, folding, hanging, and putting away.
If I keep on it, it's not bad at all. But also you have a break while it is washing or drying to go do other stuff.

Hope these were as helpful to you, or just a refresher of what to do. I have lots of stamping projects to do in the next 2 months, so I need to get out of here and start now!!

Insanity at its best


MusicPlaylistRingtones



Mia's how old?!?

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Alex is so big!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker