Friday, April 4, 2008

Haley and the one foot stomp



Let me tell you a story.


June 2nd 2003 Ed and I bought our first dog. A fawn boxer, black face. 6 weeks old, We named her Haley. The one foot stomp is this thing she would do with her one front paw, to play. That is the only real memory we have of Haley. Because sadly, on June 7th after a long 5 days of sickness. Haley died of Parvo Virus. A virus that puppies get from being around other Parvo infected dogs. And sadly Haley was a victim.


Parvo Virus shuts down all the dogs organs, resulting in full hemoraging. Haley was perfectly fine when we bought her from the pet store owner in Alsip, but already being infected with Parvo, 2 days later she was lethargic, and taken to our vet. IV fluids and meds are pumped into her, and she is in a secluded room. We had to wear surgery gowns and masks, so as to not give her any more germs then she already had.


On Saturday the 7th of June, Ed took Haley to the emergency vet, only to have her crash and bleed from every orifice. Eyes, ears, nose, mouth, you name it. She was a vegetable when he got her there. This was so hard for both of us. Watching a 6 week old puppy that you fell in love with, die from a virus that she can't fight. Being our first dog, in our new house, we were crushed.


Contacting the horrible people in Alsip, the response was that we would get no money back. But we could come and pick out a new dog. It was horrible to think that we were out the money, or we had to take the chance of getting another sick puppy.


I decided that a week later, our wedding anniversary, June 16th, that I would go back there and get my "replacement" puppy. Ed was at work, so Jen came with me.


I walked in, expecting a fight about Haley, and proof that she had died. Crazy shit, this lady never even asked to speak to a vet, see paper work for the cremation, or any vet papers at all. I could have made the whole story up, and had 2 boxers.


Walking into the store, I remembered the back room. Lots of breeds of dogs, in many cages. Small cages, stacked high. I just wanted my new dog, and I wanted to leave.


She had two boxers. A fawn and white one, she was pretty, so I knelt down and called the dog. She ran the other way. It must have been a sign. Because across the room, came another boxer, a brindle colored puppy, and as much as I miss my Haley. And the life she would have loved here, that brindle colored puppy came home with us that day.


We call her Maggie. I am sorry Haley, I love you. But thank you for you gave us our Maggie May.

So before you go and buy a puppy, please remember, find a responsible breeder. 99% of pet stores use puppy mills, which are horrible places that breed dogs, keep them in small cages, dozens in each cage. Outside, rain or snow. These places are in it for money only. And most of these dogs, die from Parvo, cold, starvation. And the mothers, are breeding machines constantly breeding from there first heat on. The fathers are usually shot if to old, for they only need one to every 20 females.

This is not illegal in the United States. I just want you to be aware, check the dogs background, get papers, contact the AKC, do some homework, before you support these horrendous people. I have learned my lesson, and I speak on it when asked. No I am not proud of where I got my first dog, but it has given me the knowledge to speak on it.

If you are wondering, Sophie our other Boxer was bought from a family member who had a litter of boxers. AKC papers and all. We actually took the runt that was left, and no one wanted. Both my girls were sent to us for some reason. So as much as I bitch about the barking and the chewing. There are no dogs that would ever replace the love I have for my two children, Maggie and Sophie.

Jordan and Chloe, well I should tell you that Jordan (boobie) is a pet store find too. It was between her and her sister, holding them both. Her sister sneezed on me. So I took the one that wasn't sick.

Chloe. I was on the look for a kitten for Jordan to play with, I asked my vet. They only had a 1 and a half year old cat. I wasn't interested. A few weeks later, I was talking with the office manager of the vet (my old boss) and she said maybe if I just saw the cat. If not they were going to send her to a place, and she would probably be put down. I saw this cat with her tiger stripes and her bright green eyes. I took her home, to save her, and knowing that this was our Chloe.

I am an obvious animal lover, always have been. I studdied vet tech, and zoology. But too much school and not enough pay. I love all animals, none freak me out, or scare me. I have owned lizards, geckos, frogs, toads, newts, turtles, mice, hamsters, cats and dogs. (just missing your basic snake and rabbit) I treat my pets as if they were my kids. I love them, and respect them. Knowing they only want my love in return.

Off my soap box now, I was watching Oprah. Her dog Sophie, just passed away. She always had them on, or is in pictures with them. They did a who video montoge of Sophie and Oprah, and yes the pregnant hormonal animal lover was in bed gagging she was crying so hard.

But then Oprah did a whole show on Puppy Mills and it was good information. And it inspired me to remember my Haley. Thanks Oprah. RIP to your Sophie and my Haley.

Insanity at its best


MusicPlaylistRingtones



Mia's how old?!?

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Alex is so big!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker